Using a Youtube Video for Listening

Using a video for a listening activity can be both fun and practical for teachers. The video that I am going to use is The Internet is Worse Than Ever - Now What? by Kurzgesagt. I actually used this video for my unofficial teaching activity in my internship school. I used this video because it is about social media, a topic that students would be interested in and is also recent. The illustrations in the video also look very vivid and catches attention. First I asked students about their opinions on social media and if they ever come across different views and debates on social media. All of them said yes and I asked if they had ever been in a social media debate. Some of them said yes and some of them said they just prefer reading those debates because it is fun. Then I started the video and gave them a handout with questions and asked them to answer the questions according to the information provided in the video. I also did stop the video sometimes to ask them questions apart from those on the handout. I think it was interactive and engaging for them. Lastly, we discussed the answers and they gave their opinions about the last question which was how can we make social media a better place. 

Here are the questions I used for the listening activity:


1-) What are some downsides of social media mentioned in the video?

2-) What is a filter bubble?

3-) Why does social isolation or exclusion make us feel bad?

4-) What is social sorting?

5-) What we can do to make things better? Write your opinion.


Each question except the last one test if the student understood some information provided in the video. I think using a video to test listening comprehension is one of the most practical ways to create an engaging classroom activity and you should also definitely use it!


Thanks for reading

Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

My Biography

Get to know me

Listening Activity