Introducing Lit2Go

 Lit2Go is an online literacy platform created by Florida Center for Instructional Technology to promote the availability of reading materials in education. Although the tool does not have complex tools such as assignment creation and sharing tools related to the material presented, the good thing about this website is that it includes authentic reading sources and audio  files with for all of the reading materials. 

To use the website is extremely simple, there are no log in or sign up processes. One only has to click on the website and look for the suitable reading material from the catalogue. These materials are listed through authors, categories, genres and reading grade. One can access the audio and the text on the website or download them if the instructor wants so.



An interesting detail for those who want to use this tool is that the level of the reading material is calculated through an equiation called Flesch-Kinclair grade formula which would present a score roughly equivalent to the U.S. K-12 grade level. 

My opinion about this kind of grading is that it is unfamiliar for me, however, after looking for different categories I was able to make sense of how the grading actually works and could find several reading materials that could be used in high school level. 



I would recommend using it with high level students since most of these reading materials are simple PDF files with minimal decorations if you try to give photocopied reading texts to students. Younger students could find these reading texts boring and they are not attention catching for children. For high school students however, the teacher could utilize this platform suitable for the classroom. If I were a teacher in one of those classrooms, I could select a chapter from one reading material from the list for each week and prepare a reading comprehension worksheet for the students. I could create a discussion hour with students and or give assignments to students. As I mentioned, the platform does not deliver the utilities a teacher could use to assess student knowledge or create activities, this is simply a source for reading materials that could be used for teaching language learners.

One thing to mention is that, the website has "Student Acivity" files for each material that are supposed to be worksheets, however, I found these worksheets very lacking in terms of number of items. Most of them only had one activity with a few questions and seemed rather crude and traditional to me so I would not use these in my classroom and just create my own activities instead.





Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

My Biography

Get to know me

Listening Activity